Combining GPS location data with heart rate monitoring, the Timex Ironman Trail Runner (model T5J985) is a great choice for serious and professional runners, providing latitude and longitude, altitude/elevation data, exact real-time/average/maximum speed, and pace calculation. It offers a stylish silver watch face accented with bright yellow, dark gray resin band with buckle closure, chest-strap heart rate monitor, and lightweight GPS receiver.
Location features include the ability to record up to 10 waypoints, on-the-move compass directional heading, and a Track Back function to navigate you back to a selected waypoint. Speed and Distance features include tracking of your workout distance (with target distance alerts), continuous odometer for total distance for a workout or group of workouts, and a predictive finish time mode that uses total event distance and pace data. The heart rate monitor features include:
- Target Zones: Preset your desired heart rate exercise zone. Alarm notification when you are not in zone.
- Average Heart Rate: Displays your average heart rate over a period of time.
- Time In Zone: Amount of time spent within your selected heart rate target zone.
- Recovery Heart Rate Timer: Measure your heart rate after a timed recovery.
- Max Heart Rate Zone Calculation: Automatically sets your five training zones; one manual zone.
- Digital Transmission: Timex's system protects your data from other heart rate monitors and most exercise equipment.
- 3-line customizable display
- Summary Mode: review navigational, speed, distance and heart rate performance data at end of workout
- 100-hour chronograph with either lap/split in large digits,
- 100-lap memory with recall of Bodylink system data
- 2 linked interval timers
- 100-hour, 3-mode countdown timer
- 5 alarms for daily, weekday, weekend or weekly with 5-minute backup
- Up to 2 year battery life
- Included bike mount
The Indiglo night-light uniformly lights the surface of the watch dial using patented blue electroluminescent lighting technology. It uses less battery power than most other watch illumination systems, enabling your watch battery to last longer. The Night Mode feature allows you to illuminate the Indiglo night-light for 3 seconds with any button press, regardless of the mode or function. The watch is water resistant to 50 meters (165 feet)--suitable for swimming but not for diving--and the GPS sensor is splash resistant. All Timex heart rate monitor sensors have batteries that can be replaced by consumers without requiring them to be returned to the manufacturer.
Customer Review: Great watch!
Excellent watch! Very accurate GPS that tracks pace well and does not lose signal. As mentioned, it does take a few minutes to link up the GPS, but once it is linked up, it works perfectly. My only complaint is that it is a unisex watch - but the wrist strap is pretty big for a medium frame woman. As a woman, even the smallest size is a little bit loose. I contacted Timex to see if I could exchange the wrist strap for a smaller one, and apparently the wrist strap it comes with is the only one that fits on the watch. In the end I decided I liked everything else about the watch so much, that I didn't mind a little slipping around.
Customer Review: Just not very accurate
I have been using this product for the last month on marathon training runs. I find that the GPS is not very accurate and the distance measure tends to drift high. For example, on my last 20 mile run the GPS was off by about 1 1/2 miles; it was accurate for some of the trip but gave me readings too high on certain segments. (I was running along a river with little interference from trees or large buildings so I don't have an easy explanation). Other than that the heart rate monitor works fine and the watch functionality is good.